Friday, October 15, 2010

PICTURE FRAMES...

 Hello friends!  When you think of picture frames, do you think of the traditional frame holding a family picture perhaps, or maybe a piece of art?  Yes... I do have a few of the traditional frames holding pictures of my family, but that's not what this post is going to be about.  This post is going to be about frames I've used in non-traditional ways... or non-traditional frames.

Here, I have one of my favorite vintage frames and used it to frame one of my vintage ironstone plates.  I'm a simple kind of gal, so I like it just like this...


... but you could add a little bit more to dress it up for fall.




You could add even a little bit more for Halloween or whatever holiday it may be.  Now the frame is not just a frame, but the plate is, too. :)
  



I LOVE collecting white ironstone.  I have much of my plate collection hanging on the walls of my home.  I think they look wonderful displayed by themselves...


...but, I think they make wonderful frames, too...


I've used this plate to frame our family portrait. 


You can click on the picture to enlarge it.  The portrait is about 7 years old.  My girls are nine and 13 years old now, and let's just say I'm quite a few years older than that now. ;-)


Vintage windows, with or without the glass, make wonderful picture frames.  Here, I've placed postcards with images of people from the early 1900s at the Giant Redwoods, not too far from where I live.  These postcards were a souvenir from a trip we took there... I wish I had bought six... darn!



  
I just recently brought these vintage french doors in from the garage.  We used to have them hanging in our previous home.  I've had them stored in the garage for years... and it just dawned on me to bring them in... duh!  haha! :)  Here, I've used them again to add some Halloween spookiness to my home, but they could be used to hold any kind of photos or artwork. 




Another vintage window I have displayed in my dining room.  It actually used to be a sidelight to a front door.  This is how it is normally displayed throughout most of the year... 


... again transformed for the holidays.


Vintage frogs make fabulous picture holders.  I have a vintage business card displayed in this one.




I'm linking this post up to Donna's themed SNS link party... starring picture frames, of course!  Head on over to Donna's blog, Funky Junk Interiors for lots and lots of fabulous inspiration... or to join in on the fun. :)

Thanks so much for visiting and taking the time to leave your comments.  That goes to those of you who comment anonymously, too.  I read all of them and appreciate them so much!

We're heading to the Apple Festival in Springville and the local pumpkin patch this weekend.  I wish you all a wonderful fall weekend!

'Til next time...

~ Jo :-) 

35 comments:

  1. Wow, I love these photos! Your place is so gorgeous, it is obviously a place very special to you and you style it so cozy, with special touches from family and things that you love!!
    ~michelle~

    ReplyDelete
  2. ~*~*Love all of your beautiful picture frames and plates! Your home is so cozy and beautiful too!! Hugs,Rachel~*~*

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've been using my platters for frames also and I'm loving that look!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jo!
    I love again what you did to your home for Halloween. Who said that it had to be in Orange/Black/Purples??? Not me! I thought of your style at the Goodwill shop on Wednesday and got a 'twin size' bed spread that looked much like your living room covers....OH! Your garden fence also caught my eye I and I received one that was white with my letter 'M' in the middle of it. I will be painting it and it will go in my Parlor!
    Thanks for telling me about the spiders! I didn't get any, all out, however; I did get 'one' Raven at the dollar store!
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely post, Jo! I love the plate idea for a frame. Kudos on thinking outside the 'square' on this one. :)

    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your ironstone in the frames and the doors are FAB.. everything looks so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's all so beautiful! I love that platter. Everything is so lovely, I can't wait to go look around more on your blog! Lisa~

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Jo, I love your picture frames,and all of your gorgeous ironstone.I have been collecting ironstone for years. I just can't get enough of it.

    Kathy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Always love all that you do Jo:) I have been thinking of doing the plate in a frame ever since I saw yours. Just don't know what frame or what plate, but darnit, that's a good idea! And you make it look so beautiful:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Dear Jo,

    what a great idea whith the frames and I will took the idea with the spiders in the old window for the hallowwenparty, it`s exactly what I like !!!
    Your entrance is soooo light and inviting, love it ...
    Have a nice weekend,
    best wishes from rainy Germany,
    Sanne

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOVE using the frog as a display piece. Wonderful!

    Sharon Lovejoy Writes from Sunflower House and a Little Green Island

    ReplyDelete
  12. ~Jo...
    All I can say is your ideas you come up with for your pictures are amaaaaaazing. :) I particularly liked the last pic.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love all of your ideas Jo! Great use of the plates and the little flower frog. Hope you have a nice weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. My favorites are the old windows and doors, then using the glass spaces in different ways.

    I currenlty have a project involving old wood cupboard doors, linen fabric, map pins and black and white photos. If I ever get time at "home" that is:)

    Enjoy your weekend,
    Chris

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hello Jo.....yakkie......their are a lot of spiders in your home......hahahhahah!!...lovely post....lovely weekend.......love Ria....

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Jo...did you see my new post??? ...i dont understand i have a comment on three post away from you.....????? ...hahhahahh!! love Ria.....

    ReplyDelete
  17. I too love the ironstone !! We have similar decorating ides as well too !! I enjoyed looking at your pics.
    Have a great weekend !!
    Fun Finds 2 U.... Chickie

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love the frames with something other then pictures, it's so unexpected and pretty! I just love your house :) Enjoy your weekend
    XO

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great ideas! I really love the ironstone plate with the family picture. Have a great weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Jo, I just admire your home! So crisp and cozy looking! I have an old window that I placed above my bed and I love to spruce it at different times of the year,love it xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Jo,
    I love the way you use so many items in such unusual ways. They all look very attractive, so you certainly do make them work! Your family photo on the plate is classic!
    Hugs, Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  22. i love to frame all kinds of things in open frames, i love to layer frames over each other or mirrors, or prop them among fav vignettes. as always, your home is so welcoming. thanks for sharing it with us.

    hugs,
    shelley

    ReplyDelete
  23. As always, a beautiful job. My favorites are the plates or platters with a frame around them.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have to say, I love the platter with your family portrait on it the most. Something about it being centered in the oval platter and the black and white, just beautiful. The french doors were a nice touch. I love your beadboard too Jo. Very well well put together and great photos. We are both exhausted from a huge neighborhood yard sale event, so I'll have lots to share soon. Hope you win the giveaway on DustyLu's, she's fab.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Ok. Time for this gal to step into 2010 before it's too late. I always thought (and believed)that hanging plates on the wall was something that little old ladies did. DUH!!! Seeing your ironstone on the wall is so FRENCH -- I love it!

    *sigh*.....guess what's now on my wish list....?

    Oh, and the doors next to the TV? Perfect, girly! lol!

    Hope you're having a great weekend, friend!

    xoxo laurie

    ReplyDelete
  26. I have really enjoyed "discovering" your blog and feel totally inspired by your beautiful house and gorgeous garden. Your photos are fantastic. I would love to know the trick to making them look SOO appealing. Totally besotted! ;)Sharyne

    ReplyDelete
  27. I want to frame my ironstone now too. It looks great. I like the way you brought a bit of Halloween into your home without having to change things alot too. I hope you don't walk in and think there's a real spider there though :-)
    Blessings,
    Marcia

    ReplyDelete
  28. Your frames are really fun. I'm working on a really unique "frame" I hope it is going to turn out like I imagine it! Love the flower frog too!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hi Jo. I absolutely love your white ironstone and the way you have used your vintage frame around your platter, looks FABULOUS! I could look at pics of your beautiful home all day long. Mind you, I have serious arachnaphobia, so the little spider stickers would scare me away!! Wishing you a lovely week my friend. Hugs ~ Txx

    ReplyDelete
  30. wow your home is serene and beautiful. no clutter, how do you manage that? i live in northern france and work as an artist and antique dealer so i always have lots of objects hanging around earmarked for london, uk, clients or my etsy shop. need a bigger house to hide everything! great how you have used your plates as alternative frames. pop by chez moi if bored one 'n all; cheerio for now, Linda...

    ReplyDelete
  31. Just ran across your blog! It's delightful. :)

    Love all the spiders you are adding for the season! What a great touch. (The vintage window in your dining room is awesome too!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Your post made me smile Jo. I have done the same thing with my white ironstone platter which is hanging in my old triangle frame. Great minds thing alike :)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Love, love, love each and every detail you have created at your home, how gorgeous!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I never thought of taking a dish and putting it on a wall with some type of art on top. I want to plate dishes now and put them on my wall. That would be really cool. Thanks for the ideas. You always get my creative juices flowing.

    -Zane of ontario honey

    ReplyDelete

Your comments are always welcome and appreciated. I love to hear what you have to say. Thanks! :) Jo